Outdoor festivals have grown in number and popularity, especially during the summer and fall months. Sadly, the combination of large outdoor crowds and alcohol often results in festival-related tragedies, particularly slip and falls. With large outdoor crowds, individuals may fall victim to crowd surges. Sometimes, the rambunctious behavior of an individual may cause someone else to slip and fall.
Outdoor festivals are not only infamous for large crowds, but for beer and alcohol. It is commonly known that the consumption of alcohol can impair the ability of an individual to drive and cause an accident. However, one does not necessarily need to consume alcohol for a mishap to occur. Spilled drinks, for instance, can cause slip and fall accidents. Also, depending on the timing of the festival, weather may also present an issue. Heavy showers resulting in muddy areas may cause potential slip and fall injuries.
Some other causes of festival-related injuries include:
- Poorly-lit areas
- Cables and wires on the ground
- Uneven ground surfaces
- Poorly-marked steps or protruding objects near toilets, showers, or other temporary structures
- Collapsing structures or fallen objects
- Broken glass
Whatever the cause of your injury, it is important to take these tips into consideration, especially if you plan to pursue legal action:
- Write down key information. Try not to wait too long to write down the facts surrounding your injury. Include information answering the who, what, when, where, and how factors of the accident.
- Identify the defendant. Identifying the defendant is not always an easy task. If you are injured in a public place like an outdoor festival, the person who owns the property may be liable for your injuries. If you were injured because of a hidden danger, you might be entitled to sue the property owner. If the venue is a permanent restaurant or bar, the owner may be responsible for the injury. If the injury occurred on the site of a public place that was temporarily rented for the outdoor festival, the owners or individuals in charge of the outdoor festival, and in some cases both parties, may be responsible. With temporary festivals operating on public property, it may be the city that owns the property and is therefore liable.
- Prove Causation. Large crowds at outdoor festivals may present hazards, but they also serve as many witnesses. In addition to witnesses and the footage they may have been captured on their phones, surveillance cameras can also help prove your case.
- Assess and Calculate Damages. When estimating the damage caused by your injury, lost wages, medical costs, pain and suffering, and loss of support to your spouse and children are factors to consider.
Cherry Hill Slip and Fall Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Advocate for Victims Injured at Outdoor Festivals
If you have experienced a slip and fall injury at an outdoor festival, contact the Cherry Hill slip and fall lawyers at DiTomaso Law for legal guidance. Our attorneys fight to obtain the maximum compensation that our clients are entitled to for medical expenses, loss of income, and pain and suffering. With offices conveniently located in Cherry Hill, New Jersey and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, our personal injury lawyers will review your case and help you determine the best course of action. Contact us online or call us at 856-414-0010 for a free consultation.