According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than one million Americans experience a slip and fall accident every year. For an estimated 17,000 people, those accidents are fatal. People can slip and fall on a wet floor, over debris left on the ground, or on broken and uneven flooring. Slip and fall accidents cause injuries throughout the body, some resulting in lifelong pain and disability. Some of the most common injuries caused by slip and fall accidents include:
- Abrasions: Cuts and scrapes on the arms and legs are common with slip and fall accidents. Fortunately, they are often easily treated and not as dangerous as some more extensive injuries.
- Fractures: Broken bones range from minor fractures that heal with rest and stability to more serious breaks that require surgery and weeks to months of recuperation. Because fractures can only be diagnosed with an x-ray, it is important that anyone suffering a serious fall seek medical attention right away.
- Head injuries: Head injuries are more complex to diagnose and treat. Signs and symptoms of a head injury are not always obvious. If you have bleeding, dizziness, or pain after impact to the head, seek medical attention immediately. Serious head injuries can cause permanent disabilities.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries include sprains, strains, and tears. Though they can be incredibly painful and severely impact mobility and function, they can be difficult to prove when it comes to slip and fall accident claims because they are not visible to the naked eye. A skilled slip and fall accident lawyer will secure the medical records and expert testimony victims need to verify their injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries: Potentially the most severe injuries occurring in a slip and fall accident are spinal cord injuries. When the spinal cord is compressed or severed after a fall, the victim may experience partial or full paralysis, requiring extensive medical care. Spinal cord injuries are costly to treat and manage, making compensation for a slip and fall caused by another person’s carelessness especially crucial.
What To Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Certain slip and fall accident injuries are apparent right away, but others do cause symptoms for hours or days. Not all serious injuries are visible to the naked eye. If you suffer from a significant slip and fall accident, it is important not to assume you are fine just because you do not see obvious injuries.
After you document your accident with the property owner, take photographs of the scene, and gather contact information for any witnesses. Seek medical assistance as soon as possible and preserve all medical records carefully. All these steps are crucial to any future personal injury lawsuit you may decide to pursue.
Camden County Slip and Fall Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Advocate for Victims Suffering from Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Very often the most serious injuries are not always apparent after a slip and fall accident. Being proactive about reporting your fall and seeking medical attention will help your case. Camden County slip and fall accident lawyers at DiTomaso Law know exactly what you need to prove your case and recover the compensation you need and deserve for immediate and future medical expenses. To schedule a free consultation, call us at 856-414-0010 or submit an online inquiry today. With offices in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Cherry Hill, New Jersey, we proudly serve clients from the surrounding areas.