Memorial Day weekend marks the unofficial start of the summer. It also means that there will be over 31 million drivers on the road, eager to get to the shore, a family gathering, or a barbecue with friends. With so many people on the roadways, the National Safety Council (NSC) reports that this is one of the deadliest holidays for car accidents, especially when alcohol is involved. You can avoid dangerous car accidents by making smart choices and following some simple safety precautions.
According to the NSC, traffic fatalities have increased by 11.5 percent every Memorial Day weekend, for the past six years. This year, the NSC estimates that there will be over 400 fatal car accidents, and an additional 43,500 injuries that will require medical attention. When you add alcohol to the mix, it becomes even more dangerous. In 2013, according to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, 146 people were fatally injured in car accidents over Memorial Day weekend. In addition, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports that between the hours of 9:00 pm and 6:00 am, 60 percent of individuals killed in car accidents in 2008 had blood alcohol levels (BAC) of 0.08 percent or above, compared to only 20 percent during other hours.
To ensure your safety, and the safety of others this Memorial Day weekend, keep these simple recommendations in mind:
- Avoid drunk driving under any circumstances. Assign a designated driver at the beginning of the day and make sure that person does not consume any alcohol.
- Obey all traffic laws and follow the posted speed limit, no matter how much of a rush you are in to get to your destination.
- Avoid distracted driving, including talking on your phone or texting while driving.
- Do not drive if you are drowsy.
- Give yourself extra time to get where you are going, considering there will most likely be traffic. Drive carefully, especially in inclement weather.
Cherry Hill Car Accident Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Help Victims of Car Accidents Obtain Maximum Compensation
If you or a loved one is seriously injured this Memorial Day weekend due to the negligence of another driver, contact our Cherry Hill car accident lawyers at DiTomaso Law today. We can determine who is responsible for your injuries and seek the optimal financial compensation you deserve. We will work tireless on your behalf until justice is served. Our offices are in Cherry Hill, New Jersey and Center City Philadelphia where we represent clients throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey, including Cherry Hill, Mount Holly, and Camden. To schedule a confidential consultation, call us at 856-414-0010 or contact us online.