Slip and fall accidents occur all the time in the United States, but in most scenarios the injured person fails to report the incident. Newly waxed floors, neglected accumulations of water or recently washed floors are just a few reasons that cause people to slip and fall. If a person is involved in a slip and fall accident, certain steps are crucial to take immediately afterwards.
Document Everything Regarding the Slip and Fall Accident
Evidence of your accident is key to winning a slip and fall lawsuit, receiving compensation and holding those responsible for your injuries. In order to prevail, a victim of a slip and fall accident should:
- Take photographs of the scene of the accident;
- Take photographs of their injuries;
- Go to the hospital or physician to examine their injuries;
- Keep copies of all medical documents relating to their injuries;
- Get general information from eye-witnesses, including a written or videotaped account of their perspective of what happened; and
- As soon as possible, write down the exact details of what happened.
Proving Negligence is Crucial
A person(s) or entity can be held liable in a slip and fall accident if:
- The accident occurs on someone else’s property;
- The owner or anyone involved in the operation of the property was negligent; and
- Their negligence was the reason or “cause” of the slip and fall accident and the victim’s subsequent injuries.
If a person has a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, an unsafe condition had to exist and the person who was injured must prove that it would have been reasonable for those legally in charge of safely maintaining the property to have known about the unsafe condition, yet they decided against taking action to fix it.
Figuring Out Who to Sue
One of the reasons obtaining a Cherry Hill slip and fall lawyer is so necessary is because knowing who to hold responsible for a person’s injuries from a slip and fall accident is challenging. In a premises liability claim, if a person sues the wrong person(s) or entity, the case could be eliminated. If the injury happened at a business, the owner is most likely to be responsible. However, if the slip and fall occurred on a leased property and was due to an issue with the building or its grounds, the owner of the property or landlord may be the correct person to sue.
Cherry Hill Slip and Fall Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Assist Slip and Fall Accident Victims
If you, a loved one or someone you know has been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact our team of Cherry Hill slip and fall accident lawyers at DiTomaso Law, all of whom are accomplished in premises liability law. Due to the negligence of a retailer, corporation or property owner, you were injured. We will aggressively pursue those responsible for injuring you so that you can obtain justice and compensation.
With offices in Cherry Hill, New Jersey and Center City Philadelphia, we assist clients throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey, including Cherry Hill, Mount Holly and Camden County. Call us for a free consultation at 856-414-0100 or contact us online.