While many east coast residents enjoyed unseasonably warm weather well into December, the ice, snow and freezing temperatures that come with winter have hit the Northeast now. With these hazardous weather conditions comes a higher incidence of slip and fall injuries. Ice and snow are unavoidable this time of year, but if you keep some of these simple safety tips in mind, you can reduce your risk of injury from slipping or falling this winter.
Tips on How to Avoid Slips and Falls
Some of these may seem like common sense, but they are important to remember when you are out in wintery weather.
- Walk slowly and concentrate on the path ahead so that you can avoid slippery surfaces such as ice patches/black ice, wet leaves or snow banks.
- Wear appropriate winter footwear, such as warm boots that have rough soles that help grip slippery surfaces.
- Wherever possible, use handrails to help prevent a fall if you feel yourself slipping. A secure handhold will help keep you steady on your feet.
- Use caution in entranceways and on stairs. Snow and ice can get tracked in from other people, causing smooth floors to become very slippery.
- Be aware of changes in surfaces. When walking from a maintained property to one that has not been shoveled or salted, accidents can occur when you do not expect the change in surface.
- When you come in from outside, clean off the bottoms of your shoes or boots so that you do not track in snow and ice.
- Be careful getting in and out of vehicles.
- Keep your hands free in order to help with stabilization. Avoid carrying bags and other items in your hands and arms.
Step to Take if You Fall
- If you feel yourself falling forward, try to roll with the fall. This can minimize the severity of the fall.
- If you begin to fall backward, sit down. Injuries tend to be less severe when a person in able to relax when falling as opposed to tensing their muscles, which can worsen injuries.
Cherry Hill Slip and Fall Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Represent Victims Injured in Weather-Related Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall injuries can range from mild cuts and bruises to serious head injuries. If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip and fall accident, our Cherry Hill slip and fall lawyers at DiTomaso Law will work hard to secure the best possible financial compensation that you deserve. With offices in Cherry Hill, New Jersey and Center City, Philadelphia, we serve clients throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania as well as throughout the South Jersey communities of Cherry Hill, Mount Holly and Cherry Hill.
For a free consultation, call us at 856-414-0010 or contact us online.