November 18, 2014 – As Thanksgiving approaches, millions of Americans are making their plans to brave the holiday traffic in order to celebrate a delicious meal with family and friends. Thanksgiving week is the busiest time of year for families to travel. With all of those additional cars on the road, it is especially important to make safety a top priority.
Cherry Hill accident lawyers at DiTomaso Law offer some simple guidelines to help keep you and your family safe this holiday season.
- Have your car checked for road-worthiness before a long trip. Be sure your tires are safe, and that your brakes, headlights, and wipers are all working properly.
- If you will be traveling in an unfamiliar area, map your route ahead of time and print out directions. GPS systems can be great, but a paper map will never lose a signal.
- Check the weather and road conditions before you leave for your trip. You may need to adjust your plans in order to avoid potentially dangerous driving conditions.
- If traveling with children, bring along activities to keep them busy so that you can stay focused on the road. Portable DVD players, coloring books, and travel games are some good options. Restless children can cause the driver to lose focus resulting in a distracted driving accident. Avoid or minimize all potential distractions – including cell phones. Never text while driving.
- Leave early if possible, and beat the worst of traffic. More cars on the road lead to increased chances for multi-vehicle accidents.
- If you know you will be consuming alcohol, designate a driver, plan to stay the night or find alternate means of getting home. Drunk driving car accident fatalities are more prevalent during Thanksgiving weekend than any other week of the year. According to AAA, 40% of fatal car accidents over the holiday weekend can be directly linked to alcohol impairment.
- Always wear your seatbelt and be sure that your passengers are buckled up too. This is the single most effective way to avoid car accident injuries in the event of a crash.
- Be sure to get plenty of rest before traveling. Drowsy driving causes an average of 40,000 injuries and 1,550 deaths each year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If you find yourself nodding off or drifting out of lane, pull off the road immediately and get some rest.
- Obey the rules of the road and the speed limits. It is better to arrive a few minutes late than risk a serious car accident caused by speeding.
South Jersey Car Accident Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Wish Everyone a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving
If you have been injured in a Philadelphia or New Jersey car accident, call the experienced and dedicated South Jersey car accident lawyers at DiTomaso Law. We take cases that other lawyers have turned away. Our highly skilled personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars for car accident victims. We will aggressively pursue your claim and work tirelessly to get you the justice you deserve, and we offer a lower contingency fee rate than many other personal injury lawyers.
Our offices are conveniently located in Center City Philadelphia and Cherry Hill, New Jersey allowing us to serve clients throughout South Jersey and Southeastern Pennsylvania, including the Camden County region and the communities of Cherry Hill and Mt. Holly. Call our toll free number today at 856-414-0010 to schedule your free consultation or contact us online.