Philadelphia Pedestrian Accident Lawyers: Back to School Safety
August 29, 2016
As summer wanes and many begin the back-to-school tradition of purchasing school supplies and new clothes, it is a good time to look ahead to the increased traffic congestion that is generated when school is in session. Morning commuters will soon be seeing yellow school buses sharing the road, kids walking or riding their bikes to school, and parents hurrying to drop-off their kids before the first bell. Philadelphia pedestrian accident lawyers note that with this increase in traffic comes an equal responsibility to drive safely and respect the laws of the road, especially when in neighborhoods and in school zones.
The National Safe Routes to School Program performed an analysis that found that more children are hit by cars near schools than at any other location. In fact, the National Safety Council found that most children that lose their lives from school bus accidents are not on the bus at the time of the fatal accident. They are walking toward or away from the bus when they are struck. These pedestrian accidents are often easily preventable. If drivers simply obey the laws and drive with caution when kids are present and in school zones, many lives can be saved.
Here are some things to remember during your morning commute this fall:
- When driving behind a bus, stay farther behind the bus than you would a car. That way, you have extra time to slow down when the yellow flashing lights come on.
- Never pass a bus with its red lights flashing.
- Stay at least 10 feet away from a stopped bus. Most children involved in school bus related pedestrian accidents are struck within 10 feet of the bus.
- Be alert as children are often unpredictable and are not always paying attention to traffic as they enter or exit a bus.
- Slow down as you pass bus stops with children present and schools where children are outside.
- Be cautious around children biking to school as they are often in a hurry and will sometimes cross the road without looking behind them.
- Leave a few minutes earlier for work in the morning to avoid being late due to the increased traffic on the road.
Philadelphia Pedestrian Accident Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Help Injured Parties Claim Compensation
If you or your loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Philadelphia, you may be entitled to compensation. The experienced Philadelphia pedestrian accident lawyers at DiTomaso Law are proven negotiators, mediators, and litigators who will provide you with aggressive representation. Our team will review the facts of your pedestrian accident and work to determine the best course of action for your case.
Our offices are conveniently located in Center City Philadelphia and Cherry Hill, New Jersey, to serve our clients in Pennsylvania and South Jersey including Philadelphia County, Bucks County, Montgomery County, Chester County, Delaware County, Camden County, Burlington County, Salem County, Gloucester County, Cumberland County, and Atlantic County. Call us at 215-426-4493, or submit an online inquiry form.
Get A 100% Free Case Evaluation
From A Top-Rated Personal Injury Attorney
Call: 856-219-4970 or Chat Live Now
Drunk Driving Accident
Defective Machinery Accident
“5 stars absolutely deserved here. If the need arises for legal representation again this is the only firm I will use. They handled every detail from insurance companies, doctors, and bills. I highly recommend Richard and his colleges and have to my friends and family.”