Avoid Parking Lot Accidents this Holiday Season
December 10, 2019
Parking lot accidents dramatically increase during the holiday season. December is the busiest shopping month of the year. Parking lot accidents do not always result in small fender benders. According to the National Safety Council, there are more than 50,000 parking lot accidents each year that result in over 500 deaths and 60,000 injuries. If you or someone you know was injured in a parking lot accident, you may be eligible for compensation.
Common Causes of Parking Lot Accidents
Twenty percent of all car accidents take place in parking lots. The most common cause of parking lot accidents is distracted driving. It can be difficult to look for a parking spot while navigating through other cars and shoppers on foot. It is important to stay focused and pay attention to the hazards that busy parking lots present.
How to Stay Safe While Driving Through a Busy Parking Lot
The following are a few tips to stay safe this holiday season when driving through busy parking lots:
- Drive slowly and pay attention. Avoid any unnecessary distractions, such as using your cell phone, as cell phones are the leading cause of distracted driving. Just because you may be driving slow in a busy parking lot, being distracted can still lead to a fatal accident. Make sure that you are parked before making any calls or sending out text messages.
- Always use your turn signals. It is important for other drivers and individuals on foot to know which direction you are about to go.
- Avoid cutting across rows of parking spots. Other cars may be traveling down isles and will be unable to react in time to your car suddenly darting across.
- Be aware of vehicles and pedestrians when backing up. If possible, try to drive through parking spaces. This way you do not have to back out when leaving. Look behind your vehicle when backing up and remember to always check your blind spots.
Pedestrians Also Cause Accidents
Studies have shown that pedestrians can also become distracted while walking through a parking lot, increasing their risk of being hit by a car. Pedestrians may have their head down or may stare at their phones while walking, which takes their full attention away from what may be going on around them.
Other Factors That Contribute to Parking Lot Car Accidents
Other factors that lead to parking lot car crashes during the holiday season include:
- The earlier sunset
- Passengers inside your car
- Listening to the radio
- Being overly focused on trying to find a parking spot
Camden Car Accident Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Help Victims Injured in Parking Lot Car Accidents
If you or someone you know was injured in a car accident, contact a Camden car accident lawyer at DiTomaso Law. Our experienced lawyers will fight for your rights. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 856-414-0010. Located in Cherry Hill, New Jersey and Philadelphia, we serve clients throughout southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey, including Mt. Holly, Camden County, and Vineland.
Get A 100% Free Case Evaluation
From A Top-Rated Personal Injury Attorney
Call: 856-414-0010 or Chat Live Now
Drunk Driving Accident
Defective Machinery Accident
“5 stars absolutely deserved here. If the need arises for legal representation again this is the only firm I will use. They handled every detail from insurance companies, doctors, and bills. I highly recommend Richard and his colleges and have to my friends and family.”