Lesser Known Causes of Car Accidents
June 07, 2018
Drunk driving and distracted driving continue to rank high as the leading causes of fatal car accidents. Speeding and tailgating are also commonly known by most people as being responsible for many of today’s collisions. However, several lesser known factors contribute to today’s catastrophic car accidents. The following are lesser-known factors that cause tragic auto collisions.
- Failure to Adhere to Traffic Signals and Signs: Improper turning, driving on a one-way street, or not paying attention to traffic signals has caused far too many accidents. Maintaining awareness of street signs and traffic signals can save a motorist’s life.
- Rubbernecking: When a motorist cranes their neck for a better view of an accident or roadside hazard, this is another form of distracted driving. Like texting, distracted driving can be fatal. It is crucial for motorists to focus on what is in front of them.
- Emotional Outbursts: Emotional drivers are less likely to focus on motorists or hazards around them. Driving while aggravated or unhappy can lead to an accident, as it affects motorists’ driving ability. Maintaining emotional control while driving is vital.
- Eating and Drinking: Like rubbernecking, anything that causes a driver to take their eyes off the road can be dangerous. Similarly, taking your hands off the wheel to eat or drink is unsafe and can lead to a serious accident. Waiting until safely out of the vehicle to consume food or beverages is always optimal.
- Disruptive Children: If a child is upset, a parent or caretaker’s initial inclination may be to console the child. However, reaching back to soothe a child is extremely dangerous. If the child is securely strapped in their seatbelt and is safe, remaining focused on the road is best.
- Teenage Drivers: Teenage drivers are inexperienced and are often notorious for texting and talking while driving. As inexperienced drivers, adolescents tend to have slower reaction times to dangerous driving situations.
- Tire Blow Outs: Taking notice of vehicles on the roads and highways, especially large trucks that are known to have tire blow outs, is important. Commercial drivers typically know what to do if they experience a blowout. However, proceeding with caution is still a good idea.
To avoid car accidents, motorists should drive carefully. Taking safety precautions while driving may not necessarily prevent a car accident, unfortunately. However, awareness of the above-mentioned factors that contribute to serious road calamities, coupled with careful driving, can help you avoid a tragic car accident.
Camden County Car Accident Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Fight for Victims of Negligent Drivers
If you or a loved one has sustained injuries as a result of a car accident that someone else may be responsible for, please contact a member of our team for assistance. Camden County car accident lawyers at DiTomaso Law represent injured victims in various personal injury accidents. Call us today at 856-414-0010 or contact us online for a free consultation. We are in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Cherry Hill, New Jersey to serve clients from the surrounding areas.
Get A 100% Free Case Evaluation
From A Top-Rated Personal Injury Attorney
Call: 856-414-0010 or Chat Live Now
Drunk Driving Accident
Defective Machinery Accident
“5 stars absolutely deserved here. If the need arises for legal representation again this is the only firm I will use. They handled every detail from insurance companies, doctors, and bills. I highly recommend Richard and his colleges and have to my friends and family.”