Flooring Causes Slip and Fall Injuries
January 17, 2018
Many different injuries can result from a slip and fall accident, such as broken bones, soft tissue injuries, head trauma, and disfigurement. In many cases, slips and falls are preventable. A recent study conducted by CNA, an insurance and risk management services provider, discussed the different types of flooring, and how each type scored on a safety assessment that measured the dynamic coefficient of friction. Of the floor surfaces studied, 50 percent did not meet CNA’s standards. This finding could suggest that fall prevention efforts are not as strong as they could be in businesses to prevent injuries.
According to the study’s data, slip and falls that led to injury claims occurred at the following rates:
- 40 percent of reported slip and falls on walking surfaces were on entryway floors
- 33 percent occured in parking lots
- 27 percent occurred on sidewalks and walkways leading to business entrances
- Less than one percent occurred on interior office floors
The Right Type of Flooring Can Reduce Falls
The type of floor selected can have a significant impact on the incidence of slip and fall accidents in a place of business. For example, a tile floor can be appropriate in an entryway, but dangerous in a commercial kitchen where liquid spills and condensation can make its smooth surface a slipping hazard. In areas frequented by the elderly, it is especially important to ensure that the material is soft enough to cushion fall victims from injury.
A business owner can take steps to reduce the chances of their visitors and clients falling and sustaining injuries. A few ways to accomplish this are by:
- Installing non-slip flooring where appropriate, such as on stairs and areas likely to become wet, such as outdoor walkways and bathroom floors
- Installing handrails beside all staircases and keeping them tightly affixed to the wall
- Cleaning floors with appropriate compounds that do not create a falling hazard by stripping away varnish or becoming dangerously slippery
- Comparing floors by their resistance when wet and their dynamic coefficient of friction, a measure of their frictional resistance when pushed against by motion
- Making visitors and clients aware of the slip and fall risks associated with the type of floor present
Cherry Hill Slip and Fall Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Represent Injured Victims Seeking Compensation for their Damages
If you or someone you know was injured in a slip and fall accident that could have been prevented if a property owner had taken greater care to install safer flooring or other precautions, speak with a Cherry Hill slip and fall lawyer today. We will help you determine the right course of action for pursuing compensation for any resulting financial damages. Fill out our online form, or call us at 856-414-0010 to schedule your initial consultation with DiTomaso Law. Our office is in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and we serve clients from the surrounding areas.
Get A 100% Free Case Evaluation
From A Top-Rated Personal Injury Attorney
Call: 856-414-0010 or Chat Live Now
Drunk Driving Accident
Defective Machinery Accident
“5 stars absolutely deserved here. If the need arises for legal representation again this is the only firm I will use. They handled every detail from insurance companies, doctors, and bills. I highly recommend Richard and his colleges and have to my friends and family.”