Cherry Hill Car Accident Lawyers: Study Shows Millennials are Riskier Drivers
April 20, 2017
The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety recently conducted a study that found, while driving in general is becoming more dangerous, millennials are the most dangerous driving demographic of all. A survey of 2,511 drivers was taken from August 25 to September 6 and found that 88 percent of drivers between the ages of 19 and 24 regularly engaged in risky behavior while driving. The study also shed light on certain inconsistent beliefs that reflect worrying trends and mindsets in young drivers.
Findings from this study include:
- Millennials admitted to typing or sending texts and emails while driving at nearly double the rate of other driving demographics at a rate of 59.3 percent to 31.4 percent.
- Nearly half of millennial drivers reported running a red light when they would have been able to stop safely. Only 36 percent of other demographics reported this behavior.
- Roughly 10 percent of millennial drivers said it was acceptable to go 10 mph over the speed limit in a school zone, nearly double the rate of other driving demographics.
Other Concerning Statistics
Another area of concern that this study identified was an inconsistency between the standards that drivers hold for other drivers compared to their own behavior:
- Of those surveyed, 78.2 percent called reading a text or email while driving “completely unacceptable”; however, 40.2 percent of drivers admitted to doing so in the previous month.
- Nearly 80 percent of drivers said that drowsy driving is similarly unacceptable, yet 28.9 percent admitted to driving during periods of excessive fatigue.
- Surprisingly, 92.8 percent of drivers said running a red light was unacceptable after 35.6 percent acknowledged doing so.
The foundation’s executives pressed the need for drivers, particularly younger drivers, to understand the serious consequences of their actions and to hold themselves to a higher standard in safe driving behavior.
Cherry Hill Car Accident Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Help Victims of Car Accidents Recover Compensation for Injuries
If you have been injured in a car accident and feel that you were not at fault, the Cherry Hill car accident lawyers at DiTomaso Law are prepared to help you. Call our Cherry Hill, New Jersey office at 856-414-0010 or our Center City Philadelphia office at 215-426-4493 or submit an online form to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients throughout New Jersey and Pennsylvania, including those in Philadelphia County, Bucks County, Montgomery County, Chester County, Delaware County, Camden County, Burlington County, Salem County, Gloucester County, Cumberland County, and Atlantic County.
Get A 100% Free Case Evaluation
From A Top-Rated Personal Injury Attorney
Call: 856-414-0010 or Chat Live Now
Drunk Driving Accident
Defective Machinery Accident
“5 stars absolutely deserved here. If the need arises for legal representation again this is the only firm I will use. They handled every detail from insurance companies, doctors, and bills. I highly recommend Richard and his colleges and have to my friends and family.”