Camden Slip and Fall Lawyers: Falls on Ice and Snow
December 01, 2016
Anyone who lives in our area knows that winter months in the Northeast can be brutal. Snow and ice can appear overnight and quickly accumulate. Luckily, premises liability laws can help protect you if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident.
How Do Premises Liability Laws Impact Slip and Fall Accidents?
When someone has slipped as a result of ice and snow, there are numerous things the courts consider when deciding liability. Some questions related to liability include:
- What evidence exists that the slip and fall accident occurred when and where it was claimed?
- How serious are the injuries and was a doctor consulted?
- Was a report made to the business owner immediately?
- Was a police report made if the injury occurred on private property?
Such questions will be asked to establish responsibility under premises liability laws. Foremost is knowing where the injury occurred. Because slip and fall accidents do not generally leave evidence of the accident, immediate action must be taken to prove this.
In addition, timing plays a role in determining liability. Business and home owners have a responsibility to take reasonable precautions to prevent accidents. Reasonable is dependent on whether the owner could have acted to prevent injuries. It is reasonable that an area be cleared by the time a store opens for business.
What Evidence is Needed in a Slip and Fall Accident?
Evidence is vital to making sure you obtain the compensation you deserve. Some things to obtain at the time of the accident are:
- Photos – Using a smart phone or camera, take photos and video of the area. Especially useful are images of cleared areas adjacent to the location where the accident occurred. For instance, if you fell in front of a bagel shop and the tailor next door has cleared his walkway, take photos showing this.
- Statements – If anyone saw you fall, ask if you can receive a statement. You could get a brief video or they can write it down.
- Reports – Call the police if in front of a homeowner’s property or report it immediately to the store owner. However, do not sign anything.
- Medical records – Obtain a statement of the diagnosis. Tell the physician how the injury happened. The report will become an important link in proving premises liability under the law.
Camden Slip and Fall Lawyers at DiTomaso Law Advocate for Victims of Winter Accidents
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, call the Camden slip and fall lawyers at DiTomaso Law right away. The sooner we know about your slip and fall accident, the easier it will be to fight for the compensation you deserve under premises liability laws. Contact us online or call us in our Cherry Hill, New Jersey offices at 856-414-0010 or in Philadelphia at 215-426-4493.
Get A 100% Free Case Evaluation
From A Top-Rated Personal Injury Attorney
Call: 856-414-0010 or Chat Live Now
Drunk Driving Accident
Defective Machinery Accident
“5 stars absolutely deserved here. If the need arises for legal representation again this is the only firm I will use. They handled every detail from insurance companies, doctors, and bills. I highly recommend Richard and his colleges and have to my friends and family.”